Unless you live in a fairly remote location or extremely small market, multiple stores in your area most likely have a partnership with Instacart, making it extremely easy to get groceries and other goods delivered to your home, or shopped for you by an Instacart shopper and ready for a convenient pickup, saving you time and stress.
Instacart delivery fees start at $3.99 for same-day orders over $35, and you’ll also pay a service fee, which varies based on location and other specific order details.
Considering the convenience and time saved, Instacart is a valuable helper whether you’re a solo shopper or ordering for a crowd. That said, if you use Instacart as much as the RetailMeNot team, it makes sense you’d want to figure out any smart, savvy ways to save more when using the service. And there are plenty. Read on to see how to best save when shopping with Instacart.
7 Ways to Save More at Instacart
1. Shop the Instacart Deals Tab
Instacart says that around 60% of offline grocery transactions in the U.S. involve coupons, and now they’re helping customers who want to clip ‘n’ shop, digital style, with their Deals Tab. Just visit the Instacart Deals hub to see what’s for sale in your area across the marketplace. Whether that’s basics and groceries, or special buys like electronics or even birthday cakes, the company is working with retailers to offer you ways to save on certain items.
Once you’ve found a coupon that catches your eye, just click the “Apply Coupon” button and then add the item to your cart.
2. Buy at the Instacart Dollar Store Hub
If you’re a dollar store aficionado, head over to the Instacart Dollar Store Hub, where over 14,000 dollar stores, including the Dollar Tree, 99 Cents O nly Store, Five Below, and Family Dollar, have an Instacart presence with their trademark low prices.
Best of all is that these Dollar Stores deliver, often same day in as little as an hour, so if you’ve, say, forgotten the paper goods and supplies for the classroom Halloween party you volunteered to help with, have no fear!
3. Sign up for the No Annual Fee Instacart Mastercard
The Instacart Mastercard from Chase is a no-annual-fee credit card. Start using the credit card to get 5% cash back on Instacart purchases made at more than 800 national, regional, and local retail brands, 5% cash back on travel charges purchased through the Chase Travel Center, 2% cash back on restaurants, gas stations, and select streaming services and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
Other benefits include no foreign transaction fees, purchase protection and extended warranty protection, roadside assistance, travel accident insurance and World Elite Mastercard benefits, including complimentary 24/7 concierge service and access to Mastercard Priceless Experiences.
4. Use Instacart Coupons
Don’t sleep on RetailMeNot when it comes to saving more with Instacart. The Instacart coupons and Instacart promotions listed there will vary depending on the date, but recent deals included $35 off plus free delivery on your first three orders, 10% cash back sitewide for new customers and 1% cash back sitewide for existing customers just to name a few amazing deals you can get through RetailmeNot.
Whatever you do, see if there’s a cash back offer available; these are stackable with other coupons, meaning you can save AND get cash back.
5. Refer a Friend to Instacart
Spread the wealth with this cool perk. Instacart customers can earn up to $1,000 (!!!) by referring friends and family to Instacart. They’ll get a $10 credit on their first order when you refer them, and once their delivery is complete, you get a $10 Instacart credit on your account.
Directions for the give $10/get $10 refer-a-friend program, per Instacart:
In the Instacart app:
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the upper-left corner.
- Tap Invite friends.
- Share your referral link via contacts, text, email, social media or other channels.
- At the top left, click the three horizontal lines.
- Click Invite friends, get $1,000.
- Share your referral link or code via contacts, text, email, social media or other channels.
6. Join Instacart+ (Probably)
Instacart+ is the company’s paid loyalty program, launched summer of 2022 and (it replaced Instacart Express). Instacart+ costs $99 per year, or $9.99 per month, and if you order from Instacart more than twice a month, it’s worth it. Here are the biggest Instacart+ benefits:
- Free Instacart delivery on orders over $35.
- 5% credit back on all eligible Instacart pickup orders.
- Reduced Instacart service fees on all orders.
- A family account plan. Whether it’s for roommates or relatives, if you’re living in the same household, you can share your Instacart+ account with family members, and even create a Family Cart for a group shopping experience.
Interested? To sign up for an Instacart+ membership in the app or on the website:
- Select the three horizontal lines in the upper left-hand corner.
- Select Your Instacart+ Membership.
- Choose your preferred plan (annual/monthly).
- Select Choose Annual/Monthly Plan.