Target, with nearly 2,000 stores throughout the U.S., is a top stop for anyone wanting to create a wedding registry, baby registry or community registry for donations and causes. You can also create a custom registry, which is intended for major life events like starting college, adopting a pet or moving into a new home. Signing up for a registry with Target is free, and you start earning perks and benefits as soon as you create yours.
Though the retailer, which is redesigning its stores, makes it as simple as can be to sign up — either in stores or online — there are some things you need to know to get even more from your status.
Read on for how Target registry works and answers to all of your questions about Target registry.
What Is a Target Gift Registry?
A Target gift registry is where you can sign up for what you want and need and then share that list with friends, family and other members of your circle. From getting married to moving into a new home, it’s a way to organize, plan, shop and get support from your loved ones.
Target offers four different types of registries. They are:
- Target Baby Registry — for pregnant people and people who are adopting a child.
- Target Wedding Registry — ‘cause you’re getting hitched!
- Target Custom Registry — for major life events, like adopting a pet, heading off to college, celebrating a milestone anniversary, receiving your PhD or anything else that’s worthy of celebrating!
- Target Community Registry — school drives, toy drives and disaster relief essentials are just a few of the suggested ways to use a Target Community Registry.
What Are the Benefits of Registering With Target?
One of the main benefits of signing up with Target’s registry program is the seamless integration between in-store and online shipping. That makes it easier for you to browse and add items, pick up and return in store, benefit from free shipping over $35 and generally make your life so much easier.
Other benefits include:
- Universal registry. You can add the items you want from other sites and keep them all in one convenient place at Target.
- Gift tracking. Keep track of what gifts you’ve received and who sent them.
- Thank you tracking. This is a fab benefit that I wish I had when I was engaged and registering. Target will track who you’ve already acknowledged so there’s no chance of forgetting to thank Great Aunt Augusta for that awesome waffle iron.
- Page personalization. You can add photos and receive a custom URL to make sharing your registry easier.
- Free printables. Target created free PDF printable announcement inserts to include in paper invites to let guests know about your registry. You can pick from bridal shower/engagement party inserts; baby shower inserts or high school graduation inserts.
- Customizable privacy settings. The default for Target registries is that they’re available online to anyone who searches for them, making it easy to find. However, you can choose to uncheck the “Make my registry publicly available” box when you register or any time after by updating your registry settings. Then the only way people can see your list is by using a direct link. Either way your address and other contact info will not be visible to anyone who searches for you or shops for you.
- Customer service. Got questions about your registry? Target customer support is available to you every day from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. central time at 1-800-888-9333.
What Are the Benefits for Your Friends and Family to Shop Your Target Registry?
Target makes it easy for your guests to participate in your registry. Target offers:
- Price matching. Target will match the price if someone buys a qualifying item at Target then finds the identical item for less elsewhere.
- Shop online, pick up in store. For the guest who likes to save time, they can shop online but head to the store to pick up their gift. They can also park and let a Target sales associate come out with their purchase for another convenient option.
- Shop early, shop late. Your registry is available as soon as you set it up, and then it’s searchable for a full 365 days after the date of your event so
procrastinatorspeople have the time they need to shop for a gift. (You can access your own registry for a full 18 months after your event.)
How Do I Create a Target Registry?
You can either go into a Target store and speak with a Guest Services team member who can help set you up, or you can register online at Target.com.*
1. You will need to create an account on Target.com if you do not already have one.
3. Go to the Target Registry page.
4. Select which type of registry you’d like to create. Currently Target offers wedding, baby, custom and community registries.
5. Select the Create button.
6. Fill out any required fields and you’re all set!
*At press time, you cannot create, manage or share a registry via the Target mobile app.
How Do I Earn a Target Registry Completion Discount?
- For Target’s baby registry, Target will send you a 15% off coupon for use toward the remaining unpurchased items on your registry eight weeks before your expected baby arrival date.
- For a wedding registry, you’ll get your 15% off coupon the week of your wedding date.
- The coupon arrives in the form of a Target Circle 15% off offer. It’s redeemable twice. Find it via your Target app or when you’re logged in on the Target website. Use it online, or scan the app barcode to use it in a store. The coupon expires six months after your event date. If you realize that you have more things you need, you can add those items to your wedding must-haves or baby registry and then use your coupon for those purchases, too.
Can You Coupon Stack Your 15% Target Registry Coupon?
Yes, Target will allow you to combine your 15% off registry coupon with Target Circle offers, the 5% RedCard discount and the team member discount.
Does Target Baby Registry Offer a Free Welcome Gift?
Yes! One of the benefits of registering at Target for the arrival of your new addition is that you get a Welcome Kit, which is automatically added to your Target Circle offer list on your app and on Target.com. You can either go into the store and pick yours up at Guest Services by showing them the Welcome Kit barcode on the app or Target.com.
Find the barcode by signing into your Target account, visiting your baby registry page and then going to the Offers & Benefits section. Select “Get Welcome Kit” and show the barcode to the Target Guest Services staffer.
You can also have the Welcome Kit shipped directly to you. Sign in to your Target.com baby registry and go to the Offers & Benefits section to choose “Get Welcome Kit” and select “Ship It.” Check out and pay for shipping, or spend $35 to get free shipping on all items in your cart, including your free gift.
How Does Group Gifting From a Target Registry Work?
Let’s say you register for a stroller or another big-ticket item and your poker buddies want to chip in toward the purchase. The group gift-giving option is automatically set up for any item on your list that’s over $100 so they can each go directly to Target to chip in what they’re able/want to.
What Is the Target Registry Return Policy?
Most (but not all) of your new, unopened items are returnable up to one year after your event date. You don’t need a receipt. Instead, log into your registry page, visit the “Offers & Benefits” section and select “Start a Return” on the item you don’t want to keep. You’ll be prompted to select a store, and issued a barcode that is only valid at the selected store for the date it is generated on.
How Else Can I Save at Target?
Sure, Target’s known for their affordable prices, but Lisa Davis took a deep, nerdy dive into 16 ways to save when you shop at Target for RetailMeNot and it’s worth reading. A few of Lisa’s tips:
- Sign up for the Target Circle program and earn 1% cash back for every eligible Target purchase.
- Shop annual sales like Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- See what deals and discounts RetailMeNot has for Target.
The post How to Get the Absolute Most out of a Target Registry appeared first on The Real Deal by RetailMeNot.